Bearguy III

Build Fighter

Sazabi "Version Ka"

Reviewed by Toymaker

ODIN

REBOOT!

First Look

Review by Toymaker

Saturday, July 21, 2007

A little peek into my modelling life (Part 1)


Just a few days ago I have Mr Ken Chuang (a fellow modeler) asking me why am I so motivated, doing kit after kit. Well, that question really stumped me a little. I have been fiddling with tools and Gundam kits everyday that it's like second nature to me. I realized I have not given it much consideration though.

I could still remember the day I received my first pay check back in 2001 and almost immediately I splurged half of it buying my first compressor and air brush. Back then doing Gundams was essentially a hobby and enjoyment for me. I was lucky enough to be exposed to Aircraft modeling whilst serving NS (in camp!) and that really strengthen my resolve to model kits. I was not contented to just assemble them anymore. I wanted to go even further.

So for the first two years I did my kits haphazardly without much planning and research. Although the end products were simply horrible,I derived a lot of satisfaction and fulfillment whenever I completed one.

Then I chanced upon a local Gundam competition in 2002 and decided that that was going to be my first major competition. I submitted a FAZZ Gundam. I did not win anything but I thoroughly enjoyed the whole process. The conceptual stage, the construction and painting process, submission and competing. All these are very interesting even until now the fire is still there. It was there I met a few of Singapore's great modellers who were kind enough to show me what I am lacking or rather, clueless of. I cannot thank them enough. I have no idea whether they want to remain anonymous but I guess I leave it as it is .

Things got better for me soon after. I got my own flat and devoted an entire room for Gundam modeling. With a conducive environment and good mentors, I strive to become better. And I guess I never looked back since.

Now, why am I so motivated? Well, simple............





Enough gundams to last me for decades and I haven't really curtailed my monthly spendings yet! I resorted to giving some to young modelers I came to know to encourage them.

And another reason why I am still so keen is that none of my kits are free of blemishes or mistakes. My aim is to do better than my last one which hasn't really been the case. I am still seeing mistakes and sometimes I cannot sleep because of that.

So before I even attempt new and better techniques/skills, I want to perfect my basics first. Being flawless is still unattainable for me at the moment :)

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Strike Gundam + I.W.S.P

After finishing the Kampfer, I immediately went to finish up my Strike Gundam I.W.S.P. I did the Strike Gundam at least three times so it was pretty routine except for the I.W.S.P. Detailed up the kit as usual and most probably I will be true to the original colour scheme. You can't do much poses with this one as it is quite bulky. It doesn't help either when the gatling gun cum shield upset the balance of the kit due to its weight.

Nonetheless, I still think this is the best one I ever done among the other Strike Gundam variations. I will begin to prime this fellow pretty soon.








Monday, July 16, 2007

Wing Gundam Version Ka.

Did this one back in 2005. Only managed to take photos of it when I took it off the display at a local model shop. At that point of time, I wanted to focus more on my paint job rather than modifications. So this one is basically OOB (Out-of-Box) I like the pastels like colours on the final product. However, a problem surfaced after a few months. Mould started appearing on the kit. It has never happen to any of my works. If I am not wrong, I was using the Gunze UV Cut Topcoat then.....

Posted by Toymaker









Monday, July 2, 2007

MS-18E Kampfer [Kanji] Custom - Finished!

Finished this around 5 am this morning. And I must say just in time too! Sigh... time management is really not my forte. Got to leave this until the eleventh hour before it's done. And to cap it off, it's Monday! Got to drag myself to work with barely one and the half hour sleep, YAAWWNN.....


Back to the topic.... This kit took me about two months to finish on the average of three hours per day. Overall the whole experience was pretty enjoyable except for one problem, the quality of the plastic for this kit. Throughout the entire process, several parts cracked and broke on me and that left me with little choice but to buy another replacement. The plastic is very brittle and have to be handle with care.


My initial concept was to have a rifle together with a sword but ultimately I went with just the sword as I find it odd to whole both weapons at the same time. The right colour scheme has eluded me for quite some time too.I contemplated using orange, red , purple etc etc. But in the end, settled for a camo scheme with different tones of greys and white. I foresaw masking hell which did turn out as expected....MASKING HELL.... I concentrated more on achieving the right colours and also on the various metallic parts I was painting.


In fact I have no idea how it will turn out. And lucky for me, the final product was good. I did encountered some extensive frosting when I apply a flat coat and wasting a good one hour trying to fix the problem....

















































I really like that cleaver!!!










Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

READERS