photo b25057d1-2a8e-4652-8627-502b93ccd5b6.jpg

Monday, February 18, 2008

Another set back?

Just came back from another medical review. My platelet count went up to 37000! Cause for celebrations? Not so, the doctor pointed out to me that with the amount of medication I'm taking, my platelet level is going up too slow; which is a cause for concern. Well, back to square one, I guess.
The doctor then explained to me alternative medications that may be used to treat my condition. However, the side effects.... urghhh...(I think there is no need for me to elaborate further) He's actually reluctant to let me take those medication anyway considering that I'm only 30.
So, the next better option is Splenectomy, removal of the spleen. It is an organ that creates lymphocytes for the destruction and recycling of old red-blood cells. I am wondering can I do without it. The doctor recommended that I go for this operation and to be frank, I do not really have a choice. Chances of full remission is about 60% and some still need a combination therapy to maintain a stable platelet count. It sounds like a gamble to me...
Well, I have scheduled for a appointment with the surgeon to discuss on the procedures and complications I may suffer later in life and then weigh my options carefully. A second opinion seems to be a viable option now. How things changes in two weeks! I really need to consider this very thoroughly.....

0 comments :

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

READERS