photo b25057d1-2a8e-4652-8627-502b93ccd5b6.jpg

Thursday, September 11, 2014

The "5 minutes" Gunpla Expo

"5 MINUTES"

OK maybe I exaggerated a bit but that was how I felt after my trip from Singapore Gunpla Expo at Bugis Plus. So I took 5 minutes to do a complete tour of the whole expo? Why? Firstly,I find most of the contents a tad too repetitive. Except for some of the new upcoming and event exclusive products, there is really nothing much to shout about. 

I remember during Gunpla Expo in 2012, there were many interesting stuff like a huge display done by Hobby Art Gallery, a showcase of custom Gunplas done by celebrities etc. This time round, it is a little wee bit underwhelming. Well, at least they still have the Gundam Image Girls... (Sorry no photos of the girls)




The venue for Gunpla Expo this year is at Bugis Plus (next to Bugis Junction). Pretty central area and easily accessible. The expo occupied a much smaller area compared to the one at Nex, Serangoon Central. It is very evident from the narrow and cramp layout of the current expo. I am beginning to miss Nex already... 














The only things that stopped me in my tracks. The Nightingale and Hi Nu Gundam. 




















And of course, the upcoming Gundam Reconguista. I'm still trying to figure what this series is about. That explains why the Creator mentioned that it's not for "pre-existing Gunpla fans" and I should show it to my children and grandchildren. Well, it's worth a shot but my son looks pretty disinterested. 

Having said that, I am actually intrigued by the unique designs of the mechas. Looks very interesting. 











































Now, on to the highlight of the Expo, GBWC 2014. 

This year, I see lesser entries. It is pretty obvious from some of the empty shelves on display. I thought more could be done to have the entries evenly distributed. Empty shelves are unsightly and leaves an impression that there are insufficient entries (or maybe it is). And some of the biggest entries could do better with more standalone space.  
And it's the exact opposite when it comes to space allocated at the display area. It's cramp. I could only remembered been bumped into every time I try to take a shot of the entries.  And it's not even peak period. 

At least the lighting for the display case is good enough for me to take decent pictures of the entries.

Well, let's have a look at some of the entries. I think there is a slight drop in standards this year even though there are many good entries. Perhaps my expectations are too high but I do notice that many big hitters are missing in action, Waylander, Leon Ku and even our 2 time GBWC World Champion. And also missing are the top 2 winners from last year GBWC as well. Chocofalcon and Mechaman. Remember them? Let's me refresh your memories a bit. 


Can we have a royal rumble next year guys??? 

Ok, enough of my daydreaming, let's move on to the entries for real  this time... 






See? Empty shelves.


OMNISLASH RED KNIGHT






OPERATION MURASAKI RAI





NOBEL GUNDAM 




 ZAKU V 3.0






MOON DEFENCE 




ALL OUT ASSAULT







MANIFESTATION


Needless to say, this is one of my favourites. Made by our X-pert old bird, Jaef Liang. And what do you know? Old bird make bird wings! LOL... Impressive! 









JO9N OF ARK 


Finally, a lady modeler. Her first kit and first time joining. So be nice to her. Still raw in terms of skills but that can be corrected with the right mentors right? ;) 






NU V MAINTENANCE






NO EASY DAY







SANDROCK [GREEN BANDIT]




RIVALS






STRIKE FREEDOM



WING GUNDAM FENICE VER.EW







UNSHEATHED






DUEL






PS? 

This is obviously placing the wrong tag on the wrong model. Again. I remember someone mentioning to me this is called Psycho Zeong? Sigh... 

Well at least the organisers are pretty "consistently inconsistent" when it comes to placing tags. Now, who is Psycho Zeong? Let me go find....

And not to forget, Mr Derrick Poh.  Another X-pert old bird. Can the open cat winner for mid year competition repeat the feat again? Keeping my fingers crossed.  








ASTREAYA VALKYRIE MK-13




Did anyone notice? "KENNY LIM" !!!!!!!!

DIVINE DESTINY GUNDAM 




FLEETING LOVE 







SHINING COPPER 



MY 1ST GUNDAM 





SEI ZERSTORUNG




OBLIVION PROTOTYPE







SERPENT



WRATH OF DELTA + 




AMBUSH



Oh man! I love this diorama! Tells a story and not overly done. Good job! 




PSYCHO ZEONG!!!

There you are! Being looking high and low for you! 






AMAZING ZAKU CUSTOM




FINAL BATTLE 






GEARA DOGA [THE ASSAULT]






BEYOND THE TIME





~!BURNING~!ERUPTING BUILD KNUCKLE~!





VEGATA



THE LAST DEFENDERS OF FIRE 




 THE "YELLOWCOAT" REBELLION





THE CRIMSON COMET 


Yes. BIG is in. This one stands out from the rest because of its size. 3 big entries, 3 winners? We shall see.... 











GREAT DISCOVERY 







FREE-DOM







GUN CONTROL? 
NEVER HEARD OF IT




BANSHEE D'REBELLION






CUSTOM OZ-OOMS TALLGEESE






DOUBLE EDGED 




DELTA PLUS  





CUSTOMISED STRIKE I.W.S.P




TIEREN PHALANX





RG EXIA R2 





HAZEL FLIGHT MODE 






QANITIUM TYPE B 





BLITZ - GUNDAM BLOCK LOTUS 



I always like how this fellow does his stuff. Elegant, stylist and strong basics. Now it's time for him to take it one step further. 










THE LITTLE DEVIL 




STRIKE ROUGE FREEDOM 



CLIMAX TO RESORT 





INFINITY AND BEYOND



RAY'S LAST STAND 





TURN X SPLIT 






ENDURANCE 



LAUNCH STRIKE 



BANSHEE 



KYOJIN ASTRAY





This one caught my eyes as well. And I didn't know it's from the junior cat! 

So that's about it. Can't believe I took the whole night to do this. 

Well, to conclude. Gunpla Expo 2014 is a shade paler this year. I was hoping to see the new upcoming RGs, Gundam Blue Frame D, HGUC Z II or even the MB Avalanche Exia. There are still the limited exclusives but I am not really interested in them anyway.

So go down and have a look if you are in the vicinity. Support the local lads and their entries. 



0 comments :

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

READERS